Willingale Doe - St Christopher
St. Christophers Church shares Willingale churchyard with St Andrews Church.The churches are now united into one parish, but until 1929 there were two separate parishes in the village, each with its own rector. The parish of Willingale Doe derives the adjunct to its name from the D’ou family who came to live in Willingale in the 14th century. Around this time the wool industry was flourishing in Essex, and the population of Willingale grew rapidly. The existing church was too small to accommodate the increased number of worshippers, and rather than pull down the old church and replace it with a new one, a second church was built next to the original. The walls of the church are of flint-rubble mixed with some fragments of freestone and Roman brick; the roofs are tiled. The chancel and nave were built c.1360–70, probably on the site of an earlier church. About the middle of the 15th century the tower and porch were added. The church was restored in the 19th century, when the north aisle was added and the tower and porch largely re-built.