Witham - Holy Family RC Church
This Early English Gothic Ragstone church, designed by Daniel Cubitt Nichols, was opened by Cardinal Wiseman in 1851. As Witham expanded, the number of Catholic worshippers grew and in 1966 a chapel of ease was set up in Silver End: but Holy Family church was still too small. In 1989 the parish acquired the then-redundant Anglican church of All Saints in Guithavon Street; a much bigger church capable of holding up to 700 people. The last Mass at Holy Family church was held in December 1988 and the building has since been converted to private use.