Writtle - All Saints
The 13th century church in Writtle is relatively large for a village, with embattled nave and aisles, with a brick built chantry chapel added in in the mid-16th century. However Writtle was the major settlement in the area since Norman times and only in recent times has been dwarfed by Chelmsford. The squat tower is a rebuild from 1802. Internally there is a fragment of a 14th century wall painting of St George and the Dragon - partially obscured by a fire exit sign.