Wicken Bonhunt - St Margaret
A church has stood in the small village of Wicken Bonhunt since the 12th century, when it had a round tower. The oldest part today is the 13th century chancel with lancet windows. In 1857 the nave, tower and porch were rebuilt by John Sperling, the rich parson, to his own "Decorated" Gothic designs. One mile to the east of the church is the thatched Norman chapel of St Helen, reputed to be the second oldest building in Essex.