South Weald - St Peter
Originally medieval with the tower added in c.1500, St Peter's was effectively rebuilt in 1867-9 by Teulon. In addition to the north and south aisles shown here there was a further more recent extension on the north side built in 1980 and described by Pevsner as "depressing". Internally the church has elaborately carved reredos of marble and alabaster, some commemorative brasses including one of Sir Anthony Browne (d. 1567) - the founder of Brentwood School - and a number of wall monuments. One of the monuments (to the Ven F.J.H. Wollastom d.1823) is in the shape of a sarcophagus and bears the inscription "He went to bed in perfect health October 11th 1823, and was found a corpse Sunday morning, reader reflect!".