St Lawrence - St Lawrence
The parish church of the village of St Lawrence is dedicated to St Lawrence.The church was built of ragstone, in 1877, on the site of two older churches. The Church is sometimes called St Lawrence Newlands because the original church was built on land newly deforested. It seems odd to think of this area as once forested; these days it is all open farmland. Most services in the village of St Lawrence are held in the Church Hall. During the summer months the church is home to displays of art and local history. Three generations of the Wedgewood Benn family lie beneath the floor of the chancel including the Lord Stansgate, father of the politician Anthony Wedgwood Benn.