South Benfleet - St Mary the Virgin
This imposing church is built on the site of the Danish chieftain Haesten's camp, where King Alfred defeated the Viking invaders in 893. The original Anglo-Saxon church no longer survives but Norman features in the nave are still present. The tower is 14th century, topped by a white painted mini-spire added in 1706. The ornate timber porch is 15th century, with a single hammer-beam roof with tracery panels.