Shenfield - St Mary: Interior
The massive 15th century timbers supporting the tower dominate the west end of the nave. In 1927 some of the tower beams were found to have Death Watch Beetle, so steel girders were inserted beside the main beams to carry the weight of the 6 bell belfry. Separating the nave and north aisle is an unusual and finely constructed timber arcade. It has five columns, each hewn from a whole tree trunk with carved capitals and bases, supporting a length of roof of almost sixty feet. The Caen stone font was installed in 1390, and the side facing the east shows the traditional pagan Green Man with leaves instead of hair.