Shelley - St Peter
The present church was built in 1888. It is the third church dedicated to Saint Peter to be built on the site. The original medieval church consisted of a nave and a stone chancel stone with a wooden turret, but this fell into disrepair towards the end of the 18th century and was declared unsafe in 1800. A second church was approved in 1810. By 1886 this was showing signs of deterioration and in 1888 permission to demolish and rebuild was granted, with the result you see above: a Victorian interpretation of the Early English style. There is a memorial stone in the outside west wall of the church under which was laid a bottle containing a copy of the Essex County Chronicle, a copy of the London Standard, a number of coins and a brief record of the circumstances under which the church was being erected. During the rebuilding the upper part of a 17th century font, dating from the reign of William and Mary, was uncovered and this font is in use today.