West Hanningfield - St Mary & St Edward
The church has a Norman nave, the remains of a 13th century chancel. The south arcade and south aisle were added in the 14th century. The current chancel was built in the early 16th century. The timber porch was built in 1500 and has a crown post roof. The timber framed cruciform tower was built in the 14th century. The tower construction is unusual, with arched braces in all four directions, buttressing struts in the arms of the cross, and in the upper floor arched braces like ribs meet at a central boss carved with a grotesque face.