West Mersea - St Peter & St Paul - Interior
The photo shows the wall of the South Aisle, constructed in the 15th century and extended with Tudor roof in the 15th century. The recently re-pointed south wall, rebuilt in 1833, is incongruous with the rest of of the church interior. To the right of the door over the small brass plate, is a small Saxon carving. It is not clear how it got into a wall originating in the 15th century. Above the door is a lunette of Christ and the Angels in the style of a Rennaissance Florentine sculpture, dated 1907. Below, a wooden frame with no apparent purpose. On the right, a window is boarded up by a painting of St Christoper presented to the church in 1939. Obscuring it is a modern mosaic perched on a specially built shelf. To the left (out of shot) is an aluminium ladder wedged between the pews and wall, right next to the 15th century piscina. This hodge-podge is topped off with 21st century church banners propped up all along the south aisle, one of which had to be moved to view the Saxon carving fragment and inscription. The taste in banners extends back into the chancel where the pulpit hanging, and altar frontal, display a symbol of a brushmarked cross over a yellow blob, with olive background. Add another brush-stroke and you have the famous "Circle-A" symbol so beloved of anarchists and punks in the 70s.