Stock - Christ Church
Essex has always been a county full of independent minded people, and many non-conformist and dissenting churches and chapels exist in the county. The Essex Congregational Union was formed in 1798, and initially Congregationalists in Stock worshiped at the house of William Moss, who owned Stock windmill. In 1813 the first Congregational Chapel was built in Mill Road. This continued to be used until 1889 when the current chapel was built in the High Street. The building continued as a Congregational Church until 1972, when Congregationalism became part of the United Reform Church. Stock declined to enter this new Denomination, and in 1974 the chapel became known as "Christ Church" - the Free Church in Stock.