Stapleford Tawney - St Mary's Tower
Unlike the rest of the church, the tower is of timber, with massive oak posts with braced tie-beams and saltire cross braces. It is more or less free-standing, being built within the older flint walls. The belfry contains two bells, dated 1611 and 1630. The ceiling of both nave and chancel were given pine panelling in the 1862 restoration, the chancel part being repainted in pale blue afer a fire in 1968.