Stebbing - Friends Meeting House
The Stebbing Meeting House is the earliest Quaker meeting house in Essex. Built c.1674 it is a particularly fine and complete example of an early Quaker meeting house. In 1672 the laws against non-conformist religions were repealed, local Quakers bought a plot of land in Stebbing and built the Meeting House. Realising correctly that the atmosphere of religious tolerance was likely to be short-lived, they set the building back from the road behind a cottage. Its historical importance is recognised by its Grade II* status.