Ford End - St John the Evangelist
The foundation stone of the Church, laid in 1870 refers to the older name, Fourth End, instead of Ford End. The architect was Fred Chancellor, the architect responsible for many insensitive Victorian "restorations" of medieval churches in Essex. Unfortunately, this church had structural problems because it had been built on an ‘osier (or reed) bed’. This resulted in the demolition of the Chancel in 1985 and the peal of six bells were not rung for twenty years until they were declared safe in 2005. The four statues on the tower are of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.