Ulting - All Saints
The church in Ulting was originally built in 1150, and restored in the 1870s. It's such a quiet and tranquil spot these days, but in the fifteenth century this tiny church was a significant pilgrimage site. The Guild of the Blessed Virgin Mary flourished in the Chapel of Our Lady of Ulting, a separate building once joined onto the west side of the steeple of Ulting Church. The Chapel was built in the mid fifteenth century and the Guild formed in 1477. At the centre of the cult was a statue of the Virgin Mary, perhaps a miracle-working statue, attracting pilgrims whose itinerary also included the shrine of the Virgin Mary at Walsingham and of St Thomas a Becket at Canterbury. In 1548 the Guild was dissolved and its building demolished, and the church reverted to its former tranquillity.