Twinstead - St John the Evangelist
The oldest known church on this site had become a ruin by 1790. The Bishop refused to consecrate its replacement which was pulled down and its materials used to erect a third church. This in turn was considered inferior "with no ecclesiastical character", and was replaced by the present church in 1859. The Gothic Revivalist architect Henry Woodyer created a striking design with red brick decorated with bands of contrasting black and yellow bricks. The sharp angle of the roof is echoed by the steeply pitched gable of the open belcote. The chancel has an unusual multi-foiled round window set in an almost triangular architraved frame.