Little Braxted - St Nicholas
Grade 1 listed. Built about 1120, the church is a small Norman structure, with a wooden belfry and two bells. An old Norman semicircular apse forms the chancel but the porch is of wood in the Tudor style.The church has a small, faithful congregation of between 6 and 8 people. The plain exterior is in marked contrast to the interior. Ernest Geldart, rector from 1881 - 1900, adapted and altered the church significantly. In 1881 he carved a piscina into the chancel wall. In 1883 he refurbished the seating and installed new stained glass. In 1884 a north aisle and vestry was added, together with a low chancel screen, font, altar and reredos. In 1886 he began decorating, and virtually every surface has been covered with a variety of pictures, texts and symbolic designs.