Aldham - St Margaret
Nearly all older churches in Essex contain examples of re-cycling material used in previous local architecture. Built by Hakewell in 1855, St Margarets is an outstanding example of this approach in its re-use of building material and fixtures from its medieval predecessor sited a mile away at Church House Farm, with the addition of Bath stone for its tower and spire. Most of the stone window frames were re-used, as was the 14th century timber porch which was mounted on on a new flint and rubble foundation. The door on the south side of the tower (partially obscured in the photo) is c.1300.